Come Work at a Mission Driven Tech Company with High Impact that Cares about You
Do you want to get paid to work on your passion for open source, mutual aid, and the commons, while earning a good livelihood and having great work-life balance? Come work with us at Open Collective!
Open Collective is a tech platform that enabled a network of 600+ nonprofits, co-ops, and fiscal hosts to support 7000+ groups to raise and spend $25 million last year with full transparency—and we're growing fast! We love open source, mutual aid, climate justice, and decentralized collaborative groups.
We're hiring Senior Software Engineers.
A little about us
On Open Collective, groups like open source projects, neighbourhood associations, mutual aid groups, and more, can collect and spend money transparently, invite collaboration, and help their communities thrive.
Watch this video about what we do and why we are passionate about it:
Like the movements that we support, we value openness and transparency. We strive to create inclusive, respectful and sustainable communities and we're 100% open source.
We are a fully remote team that loves distributed collaboration around the world: Spain, France, Belgium, Germany, Romania, UK, US, Canada, Mexico, Brazil, India, New Zealand. This start-up culture is truly different – one of care, listening, rigor, and autonomy within collaboration. If you are used to cut-throat dynamics and overwork, you will be happy to find another way is possible.
We are building and maintaining money management software for the commons.
Senior Software Engineer Role
We are looking for a senior "full-stack" software engineer who’s excited about open source, making communities sustainable, and transparent finances.
- Financial transparency is our thing! Pay is as follows, with location-based cost of living adjustments:
- very high (e.g. NY, SF) $112-$144k
- high(e.g. London, Paris) $98-$126k (€93-€119k)
- medium (e.g. Vancouver, Berlin, Madrid) $84-$108k (€79-€103k)
- low (e.g. Kyiv, Lagos, Buenos Aires) $70-$90k (€66-€86k)
- Fully remote team, but we'd like you to be based within 6 hours of CET for timezone overlap, e.g. Europe, Africa, central Asia, or North and South America.
- Full time role, with a very flexible schedule.
- Opportunity to grow in the role, with support for professional development and encouragement to influence strategy and share ideas.
- Great culture of work/life balance and generous paid time off.
We think you’d be great at this if you are:
Comfortable in a remote environment that is at the same time highly collaborative and autonomous (you can run a feature end to end on your own, while communicating about it!)
Familiar with our technology stack:
- GraphQL API powered by Node, PostgreSQL and Sequelize
- Web app powered by Next.js, React and Apollo
Excited about our mission and share our philosophy.
Bonus points if you have experience in collaborative communities like the ones that use our platform!
Please email us with "Senior Software Engineer" as subject.
Your message should be convincing enough for us to consider you and move to the next stage. Ideally, we want you to cover the following:
- About you. What's your story? Where you are coming from? What's you current status?
- About us. How did you hear about Open Collective? What do you find interesting in Open Collective?
- Experience. What is your greatest achievment in software engineering? Can you tell us about a past project you're proud of (it doesn’t have to be an engineering one or even a technical one.)? What do you think you can bring to Open Collective?
As part of our screening process, we'll also ask you to make a small contribution to our codebase. Have a look, do one now or be ready for it!